What Is ARK Survival Ascended About?
There has been confirmation that ARK ("one") is getting an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5, which will make some big improvements to the game's performance overall. The original game was created off a modified version of Unreal Engine 4, and the UE5 upgrade will be a stock build of the engine, more or less, which should improve performance significantly.
The Community Has Backlashed Against ARK Devs
We recommend sharing the blame with Snail Games as well. This publisher has ruined some other games in the past, so we hope that Studio Wildcard can get away from them as a publisher, and go to a better, more reliable publisher like Microsoft or similar.
ARK Survival Evolved's Development History
With ARK Survival Ascended, the remaster, being coded in a standard (vanilla) version of Unreal Engine 5 (probably 5.1), it will make it much easier for them to update the game to the later builds of Unreal Engine 5, say 5.5, down the road. This should help it benefit from all the improvements of future versions of the UE5 engine.
What Are The Unreal Engine 5 benefits?
Some of the best parts of Unreal Engine 5 are:
- Lumen - A lighting system overhaul, which is dynamic real-time illumination.
- Nanite - A overhaul of the mesh system. This should solve all the meshing problems that the original ARK Survival Evolved has. It does not waste resources on rendering things not shown on screen (which Unreal Engine 4 does). So this should vastly improve performance on consoles, for example.
- World Partition - This allows people to make much larger maps than the original ARK Survival could handle. Basically this allows maps to load and unload chunks of the map dynamically. If nobody is in a specific region of the map, it can unload it so it doesn't take up resources on the server.
- Physics System Overhaul - Unreal Engine 5 introduces "Chaos Physics" - a new system built from the ground up for UE5. It's a huge leap in physics capabilities, and will vastly improve quality of all Unreal Engine 5 games that make use of it. This includes:
- Rigid Body Dynamics & Animations
- Cloth Physics
- Ragdoll Physics
- Hair simulation
- and much more!
- Destruction - A completely new Destruction system. Will ARK Survival Ascended use this? We don't know yet. It will have thresholds that define how much damage is needed to destroy an object. This could allow for more dynamic cave and custom structures in ARK Ascended.
Improved Lighting & Visual Updates are Incoming!
There Are Some Downsides To This Upgrade, Too!
Mods On Steam Edition WILL Break!
ARK 2 Release Date Delayed Again
Updating ARK 1 would not really be feasible at this point, due to its heavily customized engine. They would have to recode the entire game from scratch even to fix ARK 1. So why not build it in a new engine with tons of fixes and improvements? Since it is a completely updated engine that was not customized by them, the remaster should perform a lot better.
The biggest downsides are that save files are not transferrable to the remaster and those mods will need to be "recooked" according to multiple developers. It may not be very difficult to update mods for the remaster and not take a recode of their mod. But a lot of mods are basically abandoned at this point so some of the best mods may never get an update for ARK Survival Ascended or the updated Unreal Engine 5. Hopefully, someone will step up and remake the mods for the remaster if that is the case.
Do not forget to join in Kenson's Streams!